Tuesday, July 28, 2009

This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you............yeah right!




Horses are expensive, ask any loving horse owner and they will tell you it's true. Hay, supplements, farrier, board (if your not lucky enough to keep your horses at home), vet (the occasional online shopping spree at Dover Saddlery or Stateline Tack)...........all cost a considerable amount of the green stuff. The last time I had the vet out, just for shots , it cost me $115.00. I decided to check into the cost to buy and give routine vaccinations myself. Maybe a lot of you cost conscious horse owners are way ahead of me, but I was a little nervous about sticking that needle in! But what I found is that the same combo shot for Fall (S.Sickness,Tetanus,Flu and Rhino) from Valley Vet costs $21.49 and the Spring (Rhino and influenza) is $15.69. Yes, they have to ship overnight and that costs an additional $14.00, but even with those shipping fees ($28 if I order separately) I still save over $150.00 to give the shots myself! Was I nervous? Yes, but because the last two times the vet had given Lily a shot she had reacted in no way whatsoever I figured I wouldn't have a problem and I was right. Before I gave her a shot the first time I also checked out this video on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxegxets1k, it really helped! So do you give your own shots? Are you considering it to help cut costs in harder times? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments: