Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Book Corral

One of my favorite things to do when I'm not hanging out at the barn is reading! There are so many good horse books out there, from instructional to purely entertaining. So today I thought I would share some of my favorites and some from my "Have to read" list!




Stable Smarts is a great little how to book written by an Idaho horsewoman named Heather Smith Thomas. It has topics on everything from choosing the best quality hay to how to care for tack and even fence construction! Lots of helpful information for the do it yourself cowgirl!








How To Think Like A Horse by Cherry Hill is a great book for anyone who wants to really understand horses and how they see the world. It has chapters on the senses, the nature of the horse, how they learn, communicating with your horse effectively and the best approach to training using those natural tendencies. Plus lots of other great advice to help you get in tune with your equine partner, and tons of great pictures and illustrations!







"Joe Camp is a gifted storyteller and when he turns his talents to his newest passion, the horse, the results are magical. Few veteran horsemen can impart the insights about horses that Joe Camp, a relative newcomer, has done in his book The Soul of a Horse. Joe entertains, educates and empowers, baring his own soul while articulating keystone principles of a modern revolution in horsemanship."
Rick Lamb TV/Radio host "The Horse Show" Author of Human to Horseman

This is one of my next books to read and since I haven't yet I've included a review of the book above. I have heard so many great things about it and I think it will definitely be a keeper!


This is another book on my "have to read" list. I first heard about Chris Cox and Ride The Journey after watching an interview with him on Horse Girl TV
and found that I really liked his attitude and approach to what he refers to as authentic horsemanship. It will be interesting to see how his approach is similar or differs from say Parelli or Lyons!









These last two books are fun reads for anyone who loves mysteries and horses! The first Cutter by Laura Crum is from a series set in the western world with a mystery solving vet named Gail McCarthy. This series may be a little harder to find in the average book store so I recommend Amazon!
The second book Death By Dressage by Carolyn Banks, is set in the English riding world and as if you didn't notice, Dressage specifically! Our mystery solver here is a horsewoman from Texas named Robin Vaughan who along with her horses Plum and Speir, non-riding husband Skeet and best friend Lola make for some colorful characters and super fun reading! This book is only one in a series! Also available readily from Amazon.
















































1 comment:

Pony Girl said...

Great book suggestions, thanks for sharing them! I've been wanting to read Joe Camp's book for a while.